Friday, February 19, 2010

My Radius

So I was reading someone's blog - quick side note: I don't know her but her blog is quite entertaining - currently she has a series on Why You Should Have a Mormon Friend about food storage and designated drivers and such.

Anyways, I was reading her blog and she had a post about The Radius, that is, the circle around her house that she doesn't like to drive beyond. I really understood it and connected with that a lot because that is absolutely true with me! I have about a 10 minute driving radius that I usually travel in and any time I have to go somewhere outside this circle, I feel like it is a big ordeal and I need at least a few hours allocated for that trip.

Fortunately for me, there are a lot of things, basically everything I need within my small 10 minute radius. A big mall, Target, Michaels, lots of restaurants, at least 4 grocery stores, a hardware store and a Lowes, the post office, the bank, most friends' houses, the vet, and the library. Some things outside this circle that we go to are church (30 min), UNC (20 min), and a few random stores like JoAnns, Sam's Club, and Harbor Freight (tools).

My thing is that I get distressed planning an outing when I need to go to multiple places that are not in the same direction. Like today I need to go to the post office (east) and the bank (west) and I hate thinking about it! Why? I can't figure out exactly why. Maybe it is because it seems so inefficient and it is such a shame they aren't right next to each other or maybe I'm just crazy.

On a related note, I sometimes get so impatient walking to and from the mailbox that I just have to run because it takes too long. According to Google Maps it is 0.1 miles each way.

On an unrelated note, why do we say miles for a quantity between 0 and 1? If it is less than 1 MILE it certainly isn't MILES. I'm confused.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That last little side note is interesting when you think about it. We use the plural when it is a more than a mile, or cup, or whatever measurement we are using. We use plural when it is less than one if we are using decimals, but if we use fractions, we say it in the singular. (.5 miles; a half mile; half a mile;) Also 0 is plural. (I have 0 apples; not: I have 0 apple.)

I guess 1 is the only singular number. The fraction thing, it seems like the fraction is a adjective or something, so it doesn't affect it. (Half of one mile). I guess we would say (Half of two miles) even though that is equal to one and therefore singular.

Another interesting thing is what we can use after these things. Which is correct? " I think 3 pancakes is a good breakfast", not "I think 3 pancakes are a good breakfast" Maybe I am wrong on this, but I would say it like the first one. I guess the noun is "3 pancakes " as a whole, instead of he individual pancakes. What do you think?

Mindy said...

I think you are right. The 3 pancakes are a whole unit. Also, what would you say for -1? Plural? "My balance is -1 mile(s)." I think I would say miles there.

Annette said...

Wow, you guys are amazing. My only advise is to just enjoy the journey. Life isn't a race. Being efficient is great but if we are so worried about getting everything done and not in enjoying the outing then we are missing out on finding the joy in each day. It's much easier said than done and getting older helps also.

Jess said...

LOL!!! Mindy, I'm totally the same way.