Saturday, March 3, 2012

Diving update

Jeran and I recently finished the class sessions for our SSI Recreational Diver certification. It was very fun and interesting. We're excited to take a short trip to Florida soon to do our open-water dives to complete the certification.

The classes were fun and we miss having that to look forward to. There were 6 classes (Monday and Wednesdays) and at each there would be an hour or two of classroom learning and discussion followed by a few hours learning and practicing skills in the pool. We got to be pretty expert at removing and replacing our masks under water, locating our regulator if you misplace it, and all sorts of other necessary skills.

Unfortunately, the day of the second class I noticed I had a sore throat. That weekend I had an AWFUL cold (or strep or something) with a sore throat for 5 solid days. Then, on Monday I thought I was starting to recover but was still congested and dove anyways without too much trouble. Then Wednesday I was going downhill again but went to class. I toughed out the weekend (and it was rough - toothaches, earaches, the works), thinking every night that tomorrow I would be so much improved. Well it wasn't happening so I went to the doctor on Monday. I had a bad sinus infection and was put on antibiotics. Several days later I started really recovering. Hooray for modern medicine!

Anyways that's probably too much information, but it was a huge part of my dive class experience. I learned what blocked sinuses felt like with increasing pressure and that you definitely do not want to dive deep with blocked sinuses. Pool depths can be dealt with if you're not too blocked up and are very careful, but some days I was miserable afterwards.

Anyways, we're looking forward to lots of fun diving experiences and hopefully a lot more healthy days!

No comments: