May 2011:
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
This was a weird book. I'm kind of at a loss how to describe it or my reaction to it. The main Catch 22 in the book is sanity/insanity. From the book:
"There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he were sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to."
I felt like a lot of the book left you guessing as to who was sane and who was insane and after trying fruitlessly to do this, wondering what it means to be "sane". However, it was interesting and got me thinking which is generally good. 3.5 stars.
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I have very mixed feelings about this book, which makes me think I need to reread it. I liked it - mostly. I was not frustrated by it - mostly. I think Jane Eyre is not frustratingly annoying - mostly. I know many people who love love this book so I will definitely give it another chance. I did like it, but I feel like I will like it more the second time so I'm not going to give it any arbitrary rating right now.
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
This was a good mystery/suspense/romance novel. Based on just the front cover, which was red wavy marbling with only the title large in gold embossing, I would probably have put it right back on the shelf, but it was a fun, if not serious, read. 4 stars.
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
I liked Sense and Sensibility. I loved Pride and Prejudice and I read that first so I still love that more, even though I think that perhaps these are almost the same book, disguised in different trappings. It's still a good read and I can't help myself from sighing and wishing things turn out how I hope. 4.5 stars.
June 2011:
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
This book is awesome, however, I used to think the movie was really great but after reading the book, the movie is disappointing in many ways. I highly recommend this book anyways! 5 stars.
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
I listened to the audio book (free download from librivox) and really liked this book. I think I listened to all 19-20 hours of it in just a few days. It kept me guessing and wondering and it is fun to read such an old book of this genre. 4.5 stars.
I'm working on Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres right now but I'm not making very fast progress on it. I'd like to continue, but the narration comes from several different perspectives, and I like one or two of them and dislike the rest. I'm going to try to make myself keep reading it, but I have just heard of so many other books that sound so interesting that I want to get to!

3 comments:
I LOVED the Count of Monte Cristo! I read it about a month ago but I kind of want to read it again because it was so good. I agree about the movie though. The book is just too good to still like the movie as much
I read Catch-22 not that long ago and I totally agree with you. It is a very weird book, but did get me thinking about different things.
I enjoyed this post - I kept saying to myself, "I agree!" I think I really need to read Count of Monte Cristo.
I am trying to get through the The Six Wives of Henry the VIII by Alison Weir. It's well written but I've made it through 4 wives and am tired of the political wheeling and dealing. But to close to the end to stop now.
Post a Comment