I have recently been working on a fun project. It is a large wall clock (22"), designed and created by myself. I should have documented the process better but I didn't.
I bought my piece of wood and decided on paint colors. I watched YouTube videos and practiced a parchment-looking painting technique. I ordered an oversized high-torque clock movement on eBay. Jeran helped make a router jig to cut a circle and helped me cut the circle shape. After I sanded and primed it, I painted it with my new technique. It didn't work out quite as good as my practice piece, but it looks decent.
I debated for a long time on how I was going to paint the numbers because I knew I could never freehand them and make it look good. I finally decided upon using a Cricut scrapbooking machine to cut out number stencils (thanks, Lindy, that was fun!). Then I positioned them and painted them on and they worked pretty good! Last, I installed the movement, which involved chiseling out a section in the back because the shaft wasn't long enough to go through the entire thing.
Now, I think the clock looks all right, but a little plain. I've been debating if I should add something to it in the middle. I could use any advice or ideas anyone has! Some ideas I already have are to stencil: our last name, a flourish, an interior circle, or some other word/phrase (but what?). Any opinions out there?

5 comments:
Looks great! You did really good getting the numbers evenly spaced.
I think it looks pretty good the way it is. I admire your initiative!
I think it looks great as it is. If you really want to add a flourish, you could use the cricut again to cut out a stencil that fits how you like it.
Way to go. That is quite a project. Looks nice but it is a little plain. I would just look around for a bit - there are so many different things you can do.
awesome and how creative!
Post a Comment