Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympics

Olympic flag.svg
I am pretty excited for the Olympics. There is something great about finally having sporting events where basically our entire nation is rooting for the same team/individual instead of our intra-national NBA, NFL, NCAA, etc. I'm a little bummed today because we are probably going to miss the Opening Ceremonies, which are usually pretty amazing.

I can't decide which sport I am looking forward to most. There are so many exciting sports in the Winter Olympics! For me, the coolest are snowboarding, figure skating and freestyle skiing. The racing events are less exciting to watch than the events involving artistic form and routines. The lamest is curling. Obviously. But what even is Nordic Combined? I have no idea.

Anyways, I can never remember what all the Winter Olympics includes so here is a reminder of the medal events:

Alpine skiing - 10 events incl. downhill and slalom
Biathlon - 10 events of varying course lengths and team sizes
Bobsled - 3 events: 4 man, 2 man, 2 woman
Cross-country skiing - 12 events of varying course lengths and team sizes
Curling - 2 events: men's and women's
Figure skating - 4 events: Men's and women's singles, pairs, and ice dancing
Freestyle skiing - 6 events incl. moguls, aerials, and skicross
Ice hockey - 2 events: men's and women's tournaments
Luge - 3 events: 2 man, 1 man, 1 woman
Nordic combined - 3 events all individual of different courses
Short track speed skating - 8 events of varying course lengths and team sizes
Skeleton - 2 events: men's and women's
Ski jumping - 3 events: small hill, men's large hill, team large hill
Snowboarding - 6 events incl. slalom, half-pipe, and snowboard cross
Speed skating - 12 events of varying course lengths and team sizes

Also here is the TV schedule from NBC.

Go team USA!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am excited for the snowboard halfpipe. Shaun White supposedly is going to try and do a "Double McTwist 1260" Two flips and three and a half turns. Crazy!! Also the men's Aerials are pretty sweet.

Lovely Lisa said...

I am excited, too-- most because there will be something good on TV for awhile! :) I like figure skating, bobsled, hockey, skeleton, and speed skating the best. But the others are still fun to watch.

Yaaaaay, Olympics! ♥

Annette said...

Opening Ceremony was long but good. There were a lot pretty cool special effects. I can't wait to see the figure skating but all of it is good. Oh - I loved the commercial dedicated to the moms of the Olympians. So cute.