We had a great weekend. We didn't go anywhere special or do anything exciting. It was just SO nice not to have Jeran studying all the time! He passed his Doctorate Oral Exams with flying colors (of course I knew he would). So now he basically will just work in the lab for the next three years until he has enough material to graduate.
This weekend we got a lot done around the house. We also had some fun and a lot of relaxation. Jeran took Friday off work so he could relax after his exams and he watched a lot of movies and worked on my bike. I worked most of the day.
Saturday we played tennis with some friends. Ah, I'd forgotten how much fun it always is. And how quickly it gets hot here! Anyways, we played a good set and a half and lost both of them even though one of our opponents is 7 months pregnant. :) We went shopping and then later had Shish-kabobs on the grill. I also tried my hand at making homemade mozzarella sticks and they actually turned out very good - very similar to restaurant ones (freezing the cheese first is a must). Then we played some Puerto Rico, which I am terrible at, but it is a fun game anyways.
Sunday was very nice. I made cupcakes for "Cake Sunday". In Young Women's we have a dessert once a month and it is called Cake Sunday; it is very popular. I made strawberry cupcakes with sprinkles this time and they were delicious.
Monday was Memorial Day. It felt like a Saturday so I kept thinking it was going to be Sunday the next day. Anyways, we got a lot done. I cleaned the kitchen, cleaned up the office, repotted and planted some houseplants, and cleaned out the bathroom sink drain. Honestly, thoroughly cleaning out the drain is one of the grossest household jobs, but for some reason I kind of like doing it. I can't figure out why: it smells awful, it looks worse than it smells, and it can be messy with gross stuff. It doesn't make any sense to me that I don't get queasy at all doing that job but if I see blood or damage to our relatively clean and amazing bodies, I get light-headed and short of breath. Anyways, I got some good drain-cleaning experience growing up having a sink in my bedroom that I would always do my hair at. Our sinks these days are never as bad as that was to clean out. Thankfully!
Jeran has been working on making two footstools. They have been partly done for a long time now but Monday he sanded and put the first coat of stain on them. I told him he can't start another big project until he is finished with them. He is really excited about getting into picture frame-making using his new router. That would be a great skill if he can learn to do that well.
We also went and saw the new Star Trek movie yesterday. It was great! I really liked it. Chris Pine is one of my more favorite actors and I think the casting was perfect for all characters. The computer graphics were amazingly well done and the plot was good. It had just the right amount of humor and seriousness. Also, it had a good balance of old and new for people who loved the previous Star Trek stuff and people who hadn't. Jeran and I watched most of the Star Trek movies but I never watched the TV show. Our favorite one of the movies is Star Trek IV - where they go back in time to get the whale. That is a great movie.
One more week of early-morning Seminary to go! Jeran is so excited for it to be over! What will he do with all of his time now?!
What We Eat
10 years ago

4 comments:
My heavens. You guys are always so busy! I wish I had enough energy to accomplish all the things you do.
Wow, you guys did get lots done. Way to go. Thanks for sharing your weekend with us.
I wish our weekend was that fun-filled! Ian had to study ALL weekend! You guys always seem to come up with fun things to do! Enjoy your summer!
Sounds like fun. We still need to play tennis with y'all... maybe now that we're actually home, we can do that!
Thanks again for taking care of the kitties, and sorry Jinxy was such a butt. I have something for you when we see you again. :)
Post a Comment